Sarah-Jane Friedman, Business Development Executive
The MemberWise Digital Excellence Report 2019, clearly states that “member engagement is a top goal in 2019”. With that in mind, I will look at why video is an ideal way to reach and engage your members.
In our communication rich lives, we are all permanently connected to the data world. We have come to expect access to information in the palm of our hands, 24/7. This is more true now than of any generation before. In particular younger members easily engage with visual, dynamic, shareable content. The rise of social media use in particular demands eye-catching and popular content with Twitter being the most commonly used platform , while Instagram use is growing quickest.
Here are some key statistics surrounding Video Marketing ;
- Cisco has projected that nearly 80% of all internet traffic will be video by 2021
- 1 minute of video equates to 1.8 million words
- Every minute, 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube
So in this changing world, our communication has become more visual than ever and constant access is required. We want knowledge and information to be easily accessible, entertaining and engaging. So how can your organisation and members directly benefit from video;
- The average user will spend more time on your website, 88% more time, if videos are included.
- Your audience is 95% more likely to remember a call to action.
- Video on your landing page can increase conversions by 80%
- Complex information and emotion can be conveyed in a stunningly simple way
- Metrics and analysis on your audiences viewing preferences are easily accessible
These points reinforce the findings of the Memberwise Digital Excellence report 2019, which states “that 8 in 10 regularly use social media to drive website visits and engage members”.
Video is ideal for energising and communicating your member value proposition and member benefits to your audience. It’s time to ensure video forms a part of your successful digital strategy and I’ve outlined a few tips on how what to consider when producing a video;
- Keep videos short, no more than 3 minutes for websites
- Social media requires even shorter videos, 30 – 60 seconds maximum
- Clearly define who your audience is
- Include background music in the initial production, that way you can use your videos at live events too, increasing longevity and ROI
- Include key facts as text/icons
- Animation can be more easily updated , once again increasing longevity and ROI.
- Choose your key messages carefully – a maximum of 10 points is ideal for a 2 minute animation.
- Remember to keep your key points succinct and clear. Rambling text can destroy the visual impact and simplicity you are striving for.
- Including your brand colours, fonts and logo enhances brand association.
- Write a detailed brief for your production agency.
By incorporating video into your digital strategy you can engage in powerful and dynamic communication with your audiences. After all 52% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI. So, now you are armed with facts and benefits, it’s time to go into production…Lights, Camera, Engage!
Click here for some examples and further information;
Sources & Further Reading
Metro Ecosse is a leading provider of creative and technical live events creating memorable, engaging events and conferences that enable you to engage your members and reach your membership communication goals every time.